Emergency Department-Based Substance Use Disorder Treatment Counselor - Bend, Oregon
BestCare Treatment Services is proud to be one of the longest-term providers of alcohol & drug rehabilitation and mental health services in the Central Oregon region. We got our start in November of 1997, thanks to a partnership between Deschutes County, State of Oregon, and St. Charles Medical Center. From a modest, singular drug rehab center, we have grown to offering residential and outpatient services in four cities in addition to the only Spanish-speaking alcohol and drug rehab facility in the state. We have helped thousands of people find the help they need in a caring and collaborative environment and we remain true to our founding mission:
To advocate and provide compassionate care in the treatment and prevention of addiction and mental illness.
As an agency, BestCare has a family feel with a supportive staff of hard-working professionals whose compassion and dedication is unmatched in our industry. They are smart, kind, innovative and strive to offer the best services available under all circumstances. Does this sound like you? If so, we invite you to join our team by applying for this exciting position.
Located in beautiful Central Oregon, Prineville, Oregon, is home to scenic river gorges, deep desert canyons, and other delightful treasures. The community is tight-knit and is known for its livability, affordability, community spirit and its easy access to many outdoor activities. The surrounding landscape offers gorgeous snow-capped mountain views, fresh, clean rivers and lakes and breezy high desert plains. Prineville is in close proximity to a myriad of destination locations for fun and relaxation including the breath-taking Cascade Mountains, world famous Smith Rocks State Park, and Cove Palisades State Park on Lake Billy Chinook just to name a few.
If this sounds enticing, don’t wait! Apply today and join the family!
BestCare Treament Services in Bend, Oregon is recruiting for a Emergency Department-Based Community Engagement Team SUD Treatment Counselor! This is a Full-Time Regular position that includes a competitive benefits package, FOUR WEEKS of paid time off, NINE recognized holidays, and a retirement account option.
Title: Emergency Department Based Behavioral Health Counselor
Program: Deschutes Outpatient Program
Program Location: St. Charles Medical Center, Bend, Oregon
Employment Status: Full Time Regular
FLSA Classification: Non-Exempt (Hourly)
- Reports to: Program Director
- Employees Supervised: Hospital Based Peer Mentor
- Work closely and collaboratively with St. Charles Health Systems staff to improve the patients’ experience of care, improve the cost of care, and improve the workflows and resources available for St. Charles medical providers.
- Provide outreach, engagement, assessment, and care coordination services to identified emergency department patients with mental health or substance use disorders, with the goal of reducing unnecessary readmissions into the emergency department.
- Provide services within the framework of the Intentional Peer Support model.
- Work closely with community based medical clinics, behavioral health providers to support rapid access to appropriate medical and behavioral health treatment upon discharge from the emergency department.
- Provide ongoing support to identified patients, when appropriate, during the emergency department stay, post-discharge period, and during any readmissions.
- Maintain care documentation in the hospital medical record and BestCare’s EMR.
- Maintain data on patient contacts, engagement in medical and behavioral health services, continued contacts post-discharge, and re-admissions to the emergency department.
- Model ethical, compassionate, and professional behavior while in the work setting.
- Provide direction and support to the Hospital Based Peer Mentor.
- Provide written and in-person reports on the emergency department-based services as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned by the Program Director or CEO.
Have knowledge, skills, and abilities demonstrating competence in the following essential job functions: treatment of behavioral health disorders including client evaluation and other counseling techniques; program policies and procedures for client case management and record keeping; and accountability for recording information in the client files assigned to them consistent with those policies and procedures and applicable OAR’s.
BestCare Treatment Services uses a “Stages of Change/Motivational Interviewing” model of treatment. Counselors are expected to have a strong understanding of these treatment models. Counselors are expected to be proficient with the use of ASAM criteria in determining length of stay for clients.
Have a current Oregon certification as a QMHA or as a Certified Drug and Alcohol Counselor.
Have the ability to work independently and have the skills to be a team player. Must have the ability to get along with co-workers. Must possess the ability to network will all resources in order to provide the best customer service.
For individuals recovering from a substance use disorder, have maintained continuous sobriety for the immediate past two years at the time of hire.
Tools and Equipment Used:
Must have competency in using a computer for word-processing, data base and internet usage. Must be able to operate usual office equipment such as fax, telephone, and photocopy machine. Must possess a current, valid driver’s license.
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing this job, the employee is regularly required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and use hands to handle, feel or operate objects or controls. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to twenty (20) pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The position requires the employee to dress in a professional manner that meets the standards for professional employees in Central Oregon.
To Apply: Please fill out the application here, and submit along with a cover letter, resume with personal email address for correspondence, any applicable licenses, certifications or degrees with transcripts, and contact information for three supervisory/professional references to email@example.com
Are you or a loved one struggling with addiction?
Call us at 541.504.9577